Thursday, April 10, 2008

Three Clems, Two Stems


Oil on masonite, 6x6" SOLD

My wife was out of town last weekend so I filled my time with a bunch of painting. I worked on a couple layers for paintings for my Renaissance class and did a couple complete paintings, too. Sadly, it's taken me till today to start getting anything posted. As the title suggests, two of these clementines had stubby little stems, but the third must have been a divine creation. When I was about 90% done, I put the painting up on a shelf so I could step back and see what needed some tweaking. Well, the masking tape that held it to a larger support board decided to quit it's job, causing the painting to fall onto the ironing board, then onto my shirt, then my pants, then onto a button down that was hanging on the ironing board, before it finally came to rest on my foot. Wet paint clearly marked each step of this path. Needless to say, the painting was not looking so good, either. But the funny thing about oil paint is that it is a forgiving medium, if you ask for it. Not one to give up, I went back to work (with stronger tape) and managed to smooth out the smudges and recover what was left of my painting. That button down shirt, however...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Great work, as usual, Dan. I like the decision to use a deep blue as a background - it really brings out the orange color!
I also like the addition of an RSS feed to your site - what a great idea ;)