Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mona Lisa


oil and egg tempera on masonite, 6x6"

In Renaissance days (and today), recreating old masterpieces was a common way of learning to paint.  This is the final holdover from the Renaissance class I took a year ago, and it's the only one painted in the Italian Renaissance style.  The Italian Renaissance style isn't much different than the Dutch Renaissance style, well, at least not in how they built layers of paint.  The Dutch masters started with burnt sienna or a similar red-brown layer and built from there.  The Italians started with a green layer.  That's it.  

I haven't decided if this is entirely finished or not.  Then again, they say Leonardo kept dabbling at the original for a span of 20 years or more.  So I suppose I've got some time to make up my mind.
Here she is after the second layer went down--you can see the first green underpainting, a glaze of cerulean blue over the background, a glaze of fleshtones in the face, and white egg tempera on all the light spots.  

2 comments:

Bob said...

I painted my very first acrylic painting this past week. I took 40 (count'em FORTY) 5in x 7in canvasses and attached them all in the back with a piece of wooden lattice (the kind you grow vines on) with over 100 small screws. (Don't ask me why because I don't konw why) I then painted a painting of the view of the Crucifixion from Christ's eyes, looking down and out toward Jerusalem. The entire painting is 25.5 in wide x 55 in. height. It was accepted in the juried FUMC Celebrating the Arts festival and will hang for a couple of weeks. I didn't win any prize, but at least I didn't get sent home packing. I'll let Laura know when I have a photo of it and I'll post it on my regular blog.---Bob

Bob said...

..oh, and by the way, thanks for the bit of art lesson. It's always nice to learn something new. They don't always teach you everything in Art History, especially when they are trying to cover a several centuries in one semester!