Thursday, May 8, 2008

Apple in Mische Technique



Oil and egg tempera on masonite, 6x6" NFS

Here is the very first Renaissance style painting that I started. I know, you already saw a couple of them a while ago. But this was the first one that we started back in January, it just took longer than the others. There are at least ten layers of paint in this piece, starting with earth red and ending with cadmium red--with many other colors in between. I really like the way that the apple comes out from the background. The apple I was painting from had very strange markings on it, as you can see. But by the fourth week of painting, it was definitely getting brown all over. So I took a photo of the apple and had to use that to finish the painting. Unfortunately, none of the photos that I took of the painting came out very well. As with the other Renaissance style paintings, there is a touch of medium (a mixture of varnish, linseed oil, and paint thinner) mixed in with the paint to make it a little more translucent for glazing, so it has a bit more sheen than paintings that don’t have any medium. That sheen makes it difficult to photograph without there being a glare. I’ll try to get a better photo sometime soon.

In other news, remember that job I was interviewing for in Minnesota? Well I got it! My wife and I have decided to make the move to the Midwest and we’re actually flying back to Minnesota this weekend to look at houses. Wish us luck!

No comments: